Top 50 Employers List Reveals What Employees Value Most
Every year at around this time, Maclean’s issues its list of the country’s 50 Best Employers. This annual roundup, compiled by global HR consulting and outsourcing firm Aon Hewitt,offers a precious peek into the psyches of corporate Canada’s most valuable resource: its employees. It’s this population, after all, that nominates those characteristics of a workplace that are most meaningful to them.
Let’s have a look:
As for the types of organizations that make the most frequent appearances on the list, certain categories rank higher than others.
There are more companies involved in finance and insurance here than anything else: 15. Next up is construction and engineering firms, of which there are 10 on this year’s collection. Hotels (7) and professional services (4) bring up the rear.
Even more instructive is a consideration of the kinds of perk that score a company real estate on this inventory.
Long gone are the days when a few in-house treadmills and the promise of casual Fridays were enough to attract staffers’ appreciation (especially in the west, where oil-and-gas giants outstrip everyone else’s salary package offerings by a long shot). This year, the 50 Best’s crop of crowd-pleasers is as diverse as it is reflective of the audience that applauds them.
Some highlights here:
- At construction company Aecon Group, employees get 100% of their training-and-development tuition fees reimbursed.
- IT firm SAP Canada operates a peer-to-peer recognition program that encourages in-house celebration of colleagues.
- At Flight Centre, on-site financial consultants help staffers manage their personal finances.
- Conexus Credit Union employees get 10 days of personal time every year, so they don’t have to use vacation days to run errands and get fillings.
- At Canadian Western Bank, the company donates $250 to a charity of every worker’s choice.
- Staffers at construction and engineering firm CIMA+ enjoy access to an on-site dry cleaner.
- And on their 90th day at Birchwood Automotive Group, employees are invited to have lunch with a senior executive to discuss their experience with the firm.
Maclean’s 50 Best Employers list is a gift to the entire Canadian workforce for the enlightenment it offers both sides of the employer-employee